Friday, April 22, 2016

Locals


    Since being here in Ireland I have noticed the locals whether around in Spiddal, Galway, or even on some of our field trips have been nothing but kind to us since our journey here. That caught me off guard when we first came here, and we noticed everywhere we went people were nice to us even though we are American. My first preconceived thought when we got here was ‘what if the locals do not like us, or are not kind to us’ but I was pleasantly surprised that whenever we went somewhere the locals treated us with kindness, and did not see us as annoying Americans but saw us for who we were individually. I had that thought because I had assumed that other countries in the world were not a fan of Americans because of some of the things we are known for that give us a bad reputation, however I was glad that the locals kept an open mind, and accepted us. Once when I went to Spiddal, and went into a jewelers shop to buy a Claddagh ring one local man that worked at that shop he was absolutely friendly towards my friend and me. My friend, and I were buying bracelets, as well as my Claddagh ring, and he was striking a conversation with us, and being kind towards us he was just awesome I will definitely not forget him. When we bought our bracelets I had gotten 2, and my friend had about 12 but he let us have one more bracelet free of charge, and he was just amazing about it my friend, and I both tried to say no but he insisted, and so we did he was really nice, and we were glad that we met him. Some other locals that we have gotten to know is the Jane Marie, Geraldine, and John Paul and they actually all run the Park Lodge Hotel, and it has been an absolute delight to have gotten to know them! Jane Marie taught us Gaelic, as well as runs the hotel while John Paul does many things, but one of them is puts coins in our cottage twice a week for our electricity, and Geraldine she cooks for the hotel because other people stay here while we have been here. They are all so wonderful I will truly miss them so much!!
 Geraldine, and I
 Jane Marie, and I
John Paul, and I

    This week in general has been a week I have been dreading/gotten excited for I go home tomorrow, and it is very surreal to me. I have loved Ireland, and gotten to know about it, as well as seen so many remarkable places that I thought I’d never go to but on the other hand it is time for me to go home, and be with friends and family. However I do not want to leave all of the people I have gotten to know so well (which would be my group of students, and the workers of Park Lodge Hotel). I will most definitely miss so many things, such as the ocean, Irish scenery, the atmosphere, but the one thing that I will miss the most of Ireland will be the locals. Because, although some people in America are nice Irish people are more kind, and friendly than most Americans, and every part of Ireland I have been to I have had nothing but friendliness towards me in America you do not get that as much which saddens me, because everything would be better if people we more kind towards each other. This journey I have been on has been amazing, exhilarating, and much more all at the same time I definitely have a different outlook on life, and how people from other countries view Americans, but most importantly I feel like I have grown as a person, and I would not trade this opportunity for anything in the entire world! I know I plan to study abroad again, and I do not want to leave Europe, but I will be back to Ireland again in the future I know it!        
My study abroad group, and I. Love these guys so much!!!!!!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment