Thursday, March 31, 2016

Language Barrier


         The Irish language is a very difficult language to learn if you have never seen, or heard it before. When the language is spoken the sounds of the words are very different than English, and you also have to use your throat to be able to say certain words that require that. In addition how the words are spelled are COMPLETELY different from what they sound like it is crazy! For example Dia Dhuit that is how you would say ‘hello’ in Gaelic, another easier kind of word that we first learned is Agus which means ‘and’. Those are some examples of easier words that we learned from our first week of being here, but as time has gone on now we have learned about saying other things like the weather, counting, and more however the more we learn the harder the words are to pronounce and remember. Some examples of this are; Tá sé grianmhar inniu- can you imagine what this says?? It is hard isn’t it? Well what this says is ‘it is sunny today’ it’s kind of difficult isn’t it? Here’s another hard word/phrase; Tá mē naoi mbliana deag d’aois- this one is long as well, you think you can guess what it means? This says ‘I am 19 years old’ so this is how to say my age, see what I mean when I say what the word/phrase looks like it is difficult oh and it is harder to actually say it too (I always have difficulty remembering how to speak Gaelic). Alright I am going to give you one more word/phrase for you to guess, are you ready? Go Raibh Mo Leithscéal- you think you got this? It is kind of difficult, alright this phrase means ‘excuse me’ now I know what you must be wondering all of those words to have to say in order for it to translate to these two words? Yeah this language is definitely something else. Now of course we have been learning how to say other things, however I did not want to keep going on, and on because I am sure that would get boring, but these were just some examples from much of what I have been learning since I have been here.

 This sign means 'Yield'
 Like in the picture this means 'Slow'
 Like in the picture this means 'Public Defibrillator'

This sign translates to saying 'Children are Crossing Over'
         Even though, I talked about how Gaelic is a hard, and difficult language it really is a unique language it is definitely something I have never heard before coming to Ireland. Although, it has been a while since I have learned a new language I am glad that this is a language that I am being taught because it is interesting, and new to me. I certainly am excited to learn more about this language, and hope that I can retain what I am learning because it would be awesome to somewhat know another language besides Spanish I cannot wait to learn much more about the Irish language.  

No comments:

Post a Comment